Thursday, February 5, 2009

Role Models and our children

Me and Mike just had an interesting conversation. I was telling him that Michael Phelps is banned from USA swimming and Kelloggs has dropped him as a sponsor. I am tired of reading or hearing from people that he was a great role model for children and now they are disappointed in him.

I take issues with this statement again love comments but nothing rude. Yall can disagree with me all you want just do it tactfully. Ok onto my post.

First why cant a teacher be a great role model why does it always have to be someone in the spotlight in our local paper my daughters 3rd grade teacher was honored as Wal mart teacher of the year. S was so sick that year we werent sure if her bone marrow was failing or what we spent a lot of time down in Pittsburgh with a hemotologist and at our local hospital getting blood drawn twice a week for 8 weeks. Plus a lot of time with her regular doctor. He made life so easy for us he worked with her after school or if she was sick he always sent a card or called just to see how she was. I would love if S choose him as a Role model

My second Point is Parents need to be responsible Role models for their children we cant expect say Michael Jordan to raise our children we need to raise them we need to teach them values and morals. Not leave it up to someone whos morals and vaules may not be the same as ours.

Third point we cant tell our girls not to dress or act like Britney Spears when we do the same thing. I cringe when S especially tells me that her friends moms have all kinds of different boyfriends or let their 11 and 12 year old girls go to boys house unsupervised. Sorry not happening in this house or let them wear make up.

We need to point out to our children that there are heros in our hometowns the local police the crossing guards, the fire department volunteers just to name a few.

Michael Phelps is a great swimmer did he make a bad choice in smoking pot yes. But it was his choice to make and we cant say you cant make bad choices cause your a role model. He didnt ask to be a role model he is good at his sport and just that. Miley Cyrus is another example she is a great actress and singer and I let my kids watch her. Does that mean I want my kids to grow up and be like her no I dont. Ok now to were I may contradict my self

I do think of President Obama as a role model and this is why. The first time in our country's history we have a Black man in the office of President I cant help but to think the black children especially who may be raised by a single parent can say hey maybe that can be me one day. Its good to let children and adults have dreams we just have to be careful as parents who we hold up to the spotlight. And teach our kids right from wrong instead of expecting a celeberity or athlete to do it. Yes its fun to say I want to be like Mike but at the end of the day do we really want that for our children.

2 comments:

  1. Phelps: That is a complex situation. He didn't "ask" to be a role model, but anyone who accepts $$ for endorsements becomes one, so in that sense, he DID agree to be. Did he understand that? Probably not. I think he is probably ill-prepared at 20 to make that decision. Most, at that age, are still in the "I'm invincible" frame of mind. He needed the advice of parents and agents, but what agent will say "don't take the $$"?? And what parent thinks there is a risk of "my child" smoking pot? It's rather sad, but the suspension and removal of endorsements is the best thing that could happen for him and for kids that might be looking up to him.

    You're right that parents are the first-line role models for kids. I don't think parents should try to be perfect; that's setting a kid up for failure, for sure. But they should behave as they want their kids to behave, and when they make a mistake, explain it to the kids. We can't expect our kids to be better citizens than we are.

    As I'm writing this, I've been thinking about who was my role model as a preteen or teen? Interestingly, I can't remember a "star" being important to me. I was "in love" with Elvis and Ricky Nelson and Buddy Holly, but if there were any female figures I idolized I'd have to say that the trend setters were people like Jackie Kennedy. Isn't it interesting that I can't remember any famous women that were poor role models? If a movie star impressed me it was the screen Debbie Reynolds or Sandra Dee!! Squeaky cleans!! I loved Elizabeth Taylor for her beauty, but when she interfered with the marriage of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher, she was dead to me. Isn't is amazing how opposite it is today? The bad behavior is what the famous seem to strive for. Sad, sad, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sad the more you misbehave and the more drugs you do the more hollywood wants you in their latest picture. I agree parents dont need to be perfect Good lord know I am far from perfect its just interesting how much of an impact society has on our kids.

    ReplyDelete