Thursday, January 22, 2009

Freedom Writers

My neighbor was kind enough to share the erie times with me and one day she pointed out an editorial that she wanted me to read and it was where a school board had fired a woman for using the story The Freedom Writers diary as an text it was outlawed in the school that was mentioned.

As I read that I got angry. I felt bad for this teacher I wanted to rally for this teacher who was just trying to reach her kids. Last night I gave up Parking wars and Hannah Montana (yeah I know kid show) to watch the movie on showtime which is free till march. I was glad no one was watching with me cause I cried and let me just say Patrick Dempsey (Dr. Mcdreamy from Greys Antiomy) was a total jerk. This movie is based on a real life story and the teachers name is Erin Gruwell. The lenghts this woman did for these troubled kids are unbelivable.

I recommend everyone watch that movie and I am going to read the book. This got me thinking about a conversation that I had with my son. He is to be carrying a B average to not loose priviledges which includes fire school. I see yall saying but he serves the community I know this but his education has to come first.

He is missing some assignments in science and has a D. Luckly his other classes are As , and Bs. I emailed his teacher and said if there is anymore missing assignments please assign him detention. J said to me mom you cant tell my teachers to give me detention. Sorry son I already did. Just has he has expections so does S hers are little more difficult she is expected to carry all a's and b's. I expect the same from J but he learns different.

As I was watching Freedom Writers it struck me how lucky we are to live in a school district that will fight for the kid and not let them fail. The other day I was in the elemantry school to pick up S and J's six grade teacher came into the office and said Hi Mrs. Rice how is my boy doing. My friend lives in Las Vegas, NV her school district could care less if her kids fail and do their homework.

I think we need to support kids any way we can especially teens I am tired of hearing he is up to no good cause hes a teen. We need to support our kids teachers and not make their jobs harder. We need to lobby our school boards to give supply the teachers with supplies.I recommend everyone watch this movie. Have a good day all

2 comments: