Sunday, January 18, 2009

State Repensentives

For all new to the program my 15 year old son is a Jr. Firefighter. Last night they had a banquet to honor the fire dept members and people that work with them like borough council the police dept and other surronding departments.

As I was standing in line to sign in and get my ticket for the door prize this guy introduced himself to me and said his name was Brad Roae I remember him because he ousted our last repensentive that was there for almost 12 years. We talked for a few minutes and then parted ways we really didnt talk about anything meaningful.

As I was sitting with my daughter and some friends chatting he came over to me and asked if my husband was a member of the fire dept I said no my son was and he was a jr and he said really I said yes and he asked if he could sit and talk for a few minutes. He was telling me that he is a firefighter in East Mead township which is not all that far from us and that his department has no jrs and jrs are essential to the department as they are its future.

He asked me how I got J into the dept I didnt he was assigned community service for a wrong he did and fell in love with the idea. Although he likes this better then painting curbs and pulling weeds out of the community flower bed.

I said it seems like if a teen is going to volunteer for a community then maybe there should be a scholarship or reduced tution at state colleges . He said you know that is an excellent idea. Which made my head swell someone in authority telling me that my idea was excellent I am hopeful he will take this idea and do good with it. J also was the second top jr responder with 34 calls he joined in may so that is pretty good also had the most volunteer hours of the jrs for the summer carnival.

Weather wise its a whole 30 degrees a heatwave I tell you.

2 comments: