Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A barbie Headline on MSN

There was a couple headlines that caught my attention this morning as reading the news one was in my local paper and it may make national headlines. A 38 metro bus driver punches McGruff the crime dog. Turns out McGruff is a police officer and the metro driver is in some hot water. I told Mike that should make these reality shows called Worlds Stupid Criminals.

The other headline that caught my attention was in West Virginia there is a lawmaker and I believe his name is Jeff Daniels who has submitted a bill to outlaw Barbie in his state. I went on to read that he believes that Barbie leads girls to focus on physical beauty and not intelligence. I take issue with this statement first of all Barbie is a toy used for imagantion as mom who has several naked barbies upstairs I can safely say my daughter has never said I want to be pretty like Barbie and let her schoolwork and all that go to focus on her looks.

Infact she has made honor roll all of last year and every grading period this year and is carrying straight A's. Is Barbies body image unrealistic yes. Should we outlaw it no. If he is going to pick on Barbie how about say Angelina Jolie or all of the other hollywood stars that look like they havent eaten forever.

Why not just believe that playing with barbies are fun and parents (gasp their jobs) can empower their children to be all they can be. (No the army is not paying me lol). My daughter if she chooses to can continue to play with her barbies. I aslo want to point out barbie has had several careers such as a doctor or a vet, secetary, nurse and such. I believe that this lawmaker needs more things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment