Saturday, March 28, 2009

Reason number 1 why I love President Obama

When Mike was working and before the Great foot break of 2009 we had great health insurance which was Blue Cross Blue Shield and because Mike is a diabetic the state payed our premiums with state insurance as a back up. 25 dollars copay for each of the 4 meds Mike has to take got expensive really fast.

When Mike was laid off the state decided it would NOT cover our cobra payment and we would just have state coverage which is fine but not as good as bcbs although we are greatful for any health insurance I know there are a lot of families out there that have nothing there were some things that made us shake our heads. First was I had to get approval for an MRI on the foot. Second I got a notice yesterday they denied payment on my air cast boot thing that I will have to wear for another 6 weeks once the hard cast comes off (thoughts on that another day). The third and most annoying was they had to preapprove one of Mikes prescriptions which took like 6 weeks.

The doctor we have gave him samples which was good but what if the drs office was out?

In todays mail we got a letter from the insurance company that bcbs is billed through saying that because of the stimulas package we are lowering the cobra payment from over a 1000 dollars to around 400 I will call my caseworker at that assitance office and ask them if it would be cost effective for us to have bcbs back instead of just relying on the state coverage.

I am crossing my fingers that they say yes and they will pay the COBRA payment if not then we will just continue with state coverage.

3 comments:

  1. Insurance is a thorn in the side of millions of us. Either not having it, not having enough, struggling to have bills paid, whatever. We can't win, it is just a problem, period. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping that insurance for everyone gets resolved. Senators and Congress get great benefits I say share with the public for the same price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that'd be nice, but it's never gonna happen!

    ReplyDelete